This genre later on became the greatest influence for music around the world for during the second half of the 20th Century. During the 70s, the term was being used to describe soul and funk music styles. R&B has also had influence on the disco and gospel genres.
During the present day now, R&B is know as "Contemporary R&B". This is used to define the genre of "black-generated pop" that roots back to the late 70's.
Prime examples of R&B artists include, Mariah Carey, Michael Jackson and Kanye West.
Key features of R&B
- Musical rhythm is one of the most important features of R&B. All sub-genres of R&B and R&B itself rely on a four beat metre and employ a backbeat.
- Timbre is another feature of R&B. Most styles of this genre use a timbre variation during the performance aspect of the genre.
- R&B uses a variety of styles which include, club blues, rap and hip-hop.
- It can also be argued that R&B helped to promote the understanding and unite between different cultures.
- Soulful singing over a strong backbeat.
- The bands are divided into rhythm and horn sections.
- A complex, yet unique blend of instruments.